The Eighth International Workshop on Bio-Design Automation (IWBDA) will bring together researchers from the synthetic biology, systems biology, and design automation communities to discuss concepts, methodologies and software tools for the computational analysis and synthesis of biological systems.
The field of synthetic biology, still in its early stages, has largely been driven by experimental expertise, and much of its success can be attributed to the skill of the researchers in specific domains of biology. There has been a concerted effort to assemble repositories of standardized components; however, creating and integrating synthetic components remains an ad hoc process. Inspired by these challenges, the field has seen a proliferation of efforts to create computer-aided design tools addressing synthetic biology's specific design needs, many drawing on prior expertise from the electronic design automation (EDA) community.
The IWBDA offers a forum for cross-disciplinary discussion, with the aim of seeding and fostering collaboration between the biological and the design automation research communities.
IWBDA is organized by the non-profit Bio-Design Automation Consortium (BDAC). BDAC is an officially recognized 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization.
Topics of interest include:
- Design methodologies for synthetic biology.
- Standardization of biological components.
- Automated assembly techniques.
- Computer-aided modeling and abstraction techniques.
- Engineering methods inspired by biology.
- Domain specific languages for synthetic biology.
- Data exchange standards and models for synthetic biology.
Call for Papers
Abstracts should be two pages long and referenced, following the
ACM SIG Proceedings templates
at www.acm.org/sigs/publications/proceedings-templates. Inclusion
of figures is encouraged. Indicate whether you would like your
abstract considered for a poster presentation, an oral presentation,
or both. Include the full names, affiliations and contact information
of all authors. Abstracts should be submitted in pdf format and should
not exceed two pages.
Abstracts will be reviewed by the Program Committee. Those that are
selected for oral and poster presentations will distributed to
workshop participants and posted on the workshop website.
Call For Abstracts full pdf
Submission instructions to follow.
- Abstract submission deadline: April 15, 2016
- Scholarship submission deadline: April 30, 2016
- Abstract and scholarship notification: May 13, 2016
- BDAthlon team application due: May 20, 2016
- SBOL Workshop: August 15, 2016
- BDAthlon programming contest: August 16, 2016
- Main IWBDA workshop: August 17-18, 2016
Contact us at: iwbda-exec AT lists.bio-design-automation.org
- Co-General Chair - Anil Wipat, Newcastle University
- Co-General Chair - Pietro Lio', Univeristy of Cambridge
- Finance Chair - Traci Haddock, iGem Foundation
- Local Chair - Goksel Misirli, Newcastle University
- Publication Chair - Avi Robinson-Mosher, Harvard University
- Past General Chair - Douglas Densmore, Boston University
- Past Finance Chair - Traci Haddock, iGem Foundation
- Past Program Committee Chair - Jacob Beal, BBN Technologies
- Past Local Chair - Eric Klavins, University of Washington
- Past Local Chair - Traci Haddock, iGem Foundation
- Past Web Chair - Aaron Adler, BBN Technologies
- Past Publication Chair - Swati Carr, Boston University
Sign up for the announcements email list here.
- 8th International Workshop on Bio-Design Automation (IWBDA 2016): Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, August 16-18, 2016
- 7th International Workshop on Bio-Design Automation (IWBDA 2015): Seattle, WA, August 19-21, 2015
- 6th International Workshop on Bio-Design Automation (IWBDA 2014): Boston, MA, June 11-12, 2014
- 5th International Workshop on Bio-Design Automation (IWBDA 2013): Imperial College, London, UK, July 12-13, 2013
- 4th International Workshop on Bio-Design Automation (IWBDA 2012): Moscone Center, San Francisco, CA, July 3-4, 2012
- 3rd International Workshop on Bio-Design Automation (IWBDA 2011): San Diego Convention Center, San Diego, CA, June 6-7, 2011
- 2nd International Workshop on Bio-Design Automation (IWBDA 2010): Anaheim, CA, June 14-15, 2010
- 1st International Workshop on Bio-Design Automation (IWBDA 2009): Moscone Center, San Francisco, CA, July 27, 2009